Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

Labor Day weekend brought a whole new set of adventures for the Ohs family. On Saturday we loaded up the car and drove to the Grand Coulee Dam. On our way there we stopped at the Lenore Caves and hiked up to see some of the caves. The kids thought it was pretty neat and were begging to hike further, but daylight was running out and we didn't want to miss the laser light show
at the dam. Further down the road we stopped at Dry Falls and it was there that we learned how the unique geology of our area came to be. What a fascinating story. Dan is convinced that we could make money by printing t-shirts that say "Restore Lake Missoula" with a picture of a grizzly bear that is hanging on for dear life at the top of a tree. I think they would sell well in Bozeman? Go Cats...Poor Griz! (OK, I had to put a plug in there for my beloved Bobcats!) Anyways, we finally made it to the dam later that day. It was truly enormous. I still find it hard to believe that we were looking at the largest concrete structure in North America. One interesting fact that we learned was, that if you took all the concrete that it took to build the dam and made a sidewalk, 4 feet wide, it would circle the earth almost 2 times! That's incredible! It really was an amazing site and it's mind boggling to think that someone had this
vision of making this area productive way back in the 1930's and now look how much it's impacted our lives!
We sat and watched the laser light show that night and then Ryker has his own light show right in the middle of it. The nice people sitting next to us gave the kids glow sticks and Ryker decided to see what would happen if he bit it. Well, needless to say he was "glowing"...so was Dan's jacket, Renee's pants, and everything else that it spilled on. Pretty funny in retrospect, however, he did not find the humor in it at the time. He was convinced that he had been poisoned and was surely not going to make it home alive! After much reassuring, he finally settled down and slept the entire ride home.
Sunday was filled with lots of yard work and cleaning out the garden. I can't wait for our veggies to be done growing. We are starting to get potatoes, onions and cucumbers. Our corn is finally ready and the squash is coming right along. One more month and it will all be ready.
Monday was such a blessing for me personally. I ran into a dear friend at Staples and she was a huge source of encouragement to me. I love it when God blessed you with unexpected blessings! Later, I got a phone call from my mom and it left me feeling so very blessed once again. I am so very fortunate to have such an amazing mom who I can truly call my best friend. God uses her time and time again to teach me lessons in faith. By the end of our conversation we were both crying tears of joy and I was once again counting the blessing of such a wonderful friend and mom! Thank you Lord for such a wonderful weekend!

1 comments:

Alisa said...

We visited the dam this summer too. It really is a fun and educational trip. Our kids loved it. Glad you had fun.:)