Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I am about to vent...

I am about to vent, so if you don't want to read this I will understand.
I officially had a moment today, in front of who knows who, and I am still sitting here thinking about how mad it made me.

I do understand why we have horns in our cars. There are many good uses for them. They can
1. Warn animals to get out of the road
2. Alert someone who is not paying attention to the stop light that has turned green
3. Warn someone that they may be backing up into your car or something else
4. To say hello to someone passing by

There are may more ways to use your cars horn politely. A simple and short little beep-beep is all that is needed. There are a very few situations where a long loud horn honk is in order, but those are all reserved for emergency purposes only. Why then, do people feel like it is alright to unleash their frustrations by honking at every little thing that makes then upset? It makes me so mad when someone feels like blaring their horn at me or someone else.

Today is a point in case....As I was coming out of a parking lot I was turning onto a street with a stop light at the corner. I made the turn and entered into the line of cars waiting to turn. The lady behind me decided that I didn't have the right to be there so she lays on her horn for about 5 seconds to let me know she is upset. As I am watching her in my rear view mirror she is freaking out yelling at me. Now, seriously, is this a case where it is necessary for this to happen? No! After coming from an incredibly frustrating parent pick up line at my daughters school I was in no mood to be scolded. So, I put the car in park, and calmly got out of my car and walked back to her car to ask her what her problem was. She was yelling at me still until I started walking toward her car and then all of the sudden she got very quiet. The yelling stopped and she ducked her head. Not so brave anymore?? I got back in my car and then all the millions of "I should have said this, or I should have done that's" started going through my mind. Finally, I have come to the conclusion that what I wish I would have done is took her license plate number down (right then and there with her watching me write it down) and then reported her for harassment to the police. It probably wouldn't have come to anything, but at least she would think twice before she freaks with her horn again. UGH! I really do wish that cars did not have horns because 9 times out of 10 they are used in anger and sometimes even rage. It only makes the situation worse. I know...I know.... I should just have probably driven away, but I guess I have this new boldness after I read a speech that Charlton Heston gave. I read it the other day while checking on an erumor that had been sent to me. He was speaking about how we need to start standing up for what is right, and stop being so politically correct. If someone is wrong don't skirt around the issue, stand up for what's right, not for what's politically correct. Here's the link to that page. http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/h/heston-harvard.htm

Well, with that all said, today has been an exceptionally bad day. I am not sure why, but it seems like it has been an all out assault on my emotions and heart. I have had a couple of people upset with me, a couple of people let their anger out on me, and I am having a bummer day. There has to be a light at the end of this days tunnel, right? So, here it is. I resolve to make sure that my emotions are in check before I get behind the wheel of my car, and I resolve to make every effort to not be offended because that is when I sin the most.
There you have it. Now, I am going to end this late afternoon post by saying that I am going to go and read some comfort words from my Lord. I need to curl up in the arms of the one person who will not blare their horn at me, get upset with me for things that were out of my control, and who loves me because I am me....Jesus!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have ALL been there! Don't worry though I am always here to listen if you need someone to vent to! LOL!

michele said...

Venting can be therapeutic. I will ask God to bless you today! And ask that you will encounter many kind, patient people in the week to come.

Jessica said...

Hope you are having a better week! I think we might be able to still get together on Thursday if you don't mind waiting until 7pm??!!?? Michael has to officiate a basketball game.